Parrsboro has a long and interesting history. The Ottawa House is one of the oldest structures in the province and was at one time the property of Sir Charles Tupper, a former Prime Minister of Canada. The mercantile trade of Parrsboro reached far and wide as did its ship building and shipping industry. It is a fact that around the turn of the century, Parrsboro was second only to Halifax in the number of sailings on the Eastern Canadian seaboard. Parrsboro is also the site from which the first air mail departed from Eastern Canada in October 1919.